Skip to main content

The Digital Wilderness where Deadpool Lives





Guess what guys, thanks to group projects, soccer games (the least geeky thing about me), and my current obsession with Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, I have fallen behind and that’s why this is going to be three reviews in one. So let’s get ready for Tevin’s super, awesome, triple threat, (probably never happening again), showdown review (although let’s be clear, the reviews aren’t actually going to fight each other, I don’t have that type of money).


Deadpool Review


In 2009, Fox committed an atrocious act by releasing a movie so horrible that they had to bring Bryan Singer back to make a movie that basically erased the former movie from existence. That’s right, X-Men Days of Future Past erased what happened in X-Men Origins: Wolverine (sealing the mouth of the merc with the mouth, but hey, he had laser eyes for some reason). This movie has been in development hell for a while, and I never thought that it would get a release, but it has. So, is this movie any good, does it live up to the hype? Yes, a thousand times yes. From start to finish, this is what a Deadpool movie should be like with the merc with the mouth sounding off at every second he can.
(No Caption Needed)

Deadpool ‘s story centers around a psychotic mercenary that is out looking to rescue his girlfriend and get revenge against Ajax. Admittedly, this is probably the films weakest point. The plot is a generic find the bad guy, beat his goons (I’ve got to ask, at some point don’t goons realize that seeing a guy mow down ten of their friends means run), beat the bad guy, and save the girl. Fortunately, the movie isn’t relying on its story chops. Instead, it’s the comedy and brutality that the film brings that makes it stand out. There is a lot of fourth wall breaking, self-references, and comic book gags that only the geekiest would recognize. Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is amazing, a casting choice so perfect that equals that of Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine. Every chance he gets, Deadpool always throws a line out there, they don’t all land, but when it does it is hilarious. This is where the movie shines, it’s like they made the story generic on purpose just so Deadpool can break the fourth wall and make fun of it. The action scenes are incredibly brutal, and the way the comedy and action scenes blend makes you realize why this movie had to be rated R. In terms or world building, though, Deadpool doesn’t do a great job of that, especially with only two X-Men. Remember, this is the first movie that takes place after Days of Future Past rebooted the franchise, and you don’t get to see the effects of that in the movie (this just me being nitpicky, I had to find something else to criticize to make it seem unbiased).

(Deadpool Approves, so what cold go wrong)

So who’s this movie for (the imaginary audience member asks)? Well, I’ll tell you audience member (while I am calling the police, I don’t know how you got in my house). This movie is for people who are getting kind of tired of Disney and Marvel’s brand of superheroes, Deadpool earns that rated R for a reason. It’s for the internet age, where nobody takes things too seriously (or maybe too seriously, which makes it that much funnier) because this movie doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s rated R for a reason, though, so don’t bring the children (unless your one of those cool parents, you know who you are). This movie gets a (crap, how do I rate things, is it by grade or thumbs up or…) 4.5 hypetrains out of 5 (I know, lame rating system, but this is my first review ever).


Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Review

(Digimon are the Champions)

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is the first game of 2016 that I have gotten obsessed with. There have been times when I have had to make a decision between spending time with friends and family or playing this game, and I’ve got to tell you I’m trying to figure out a way to get out of these “required” friends and family time (I'm thinking of kidnapping myself and just go to a hotel, that should buy me at least a week, right?). In Cyber Sleuth, you are either a boy or girl, who finds themselves in a digital mystery (see what I did there). You travel across the internet, stop hackers, and a corporation, from ruining the world. The best part of the game is that you get to team up with some of the classic Digimon to go on this adventure.

(Ummmm, maybe I should have just stayed in bed today)

Admittedly, I haven’t finished the game yet, but I am close. The game plays like a Pokémon game that wasn’t made by Nintendo, which is the type of Digimon game I’ve been waiting for all my life. Since it is not made by Nintendo, the game is allowed to explore darker themes. The moment to moment gameplay is essentially you running around talking people trying to find clues, either on the internet or in the real world. Eventually, you find a heinous villain who is trying to cause harm and you battle them to see who is supreme. The battle system is turn base; you have the option of attacking, guarding, using items, or switching out Digimon (if you’ve ever played Pokémon, you’ll be right at home). With these battles, your Digimon get experience points, which you could put forth into making them digivolve (Wow, after 16 years I’m just now realizing that the word digivolve is digital and evolving put together, I may really need a break from this game). The digivolving process isn’t a cake walk, though, in order for your Digimon to reach their next evolutionary stage, their stats have to reach a certain required level. Like Wormmon (I know, Digimon don’t exactly have the most exciting names), not only has to be at level 14, but he also has to have a speed of 55 and attack of 40. That extra layer of deepness makes the game that much better.


The story is interesting; a mysterious company is causing trouble but why? Who is the pale boy who keeps showing up right before tragedy strikes? Why are Digimon all of a sudden showing up on the internet? Will Tevin be able to talk to a girl? Find out on the next episode of Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. The story has enough mysteries to keep you invested. The game falters with its tutorial section and the conversations. The tutorial feels a little bit too hand holdy, the director of the game created this game specifically for fans who have grown up with the series, yet some of the tutorial levels make it seem like you’ve never played a video game before. Then there are the conversations, the go on far too long and throw out too much information at you to the point that it may make it hard to follow the story. Other than that this game lives up to the Digimon legacy, and for that this game gets 4.5 thumbs up out of 5 (Never got why the thumbs had so much power to decide such things). Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is available on the PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation Vita.

Firewatch (Last one Tevin, you can make it, just think what would Batman do?)


 Today, I sat down and played this game, Firewatch, I did not intend to finish it in one sitting, but man this game got its hooks in me (I think I may have a problem with getting too obsessive with things, well let’s hope I don’t ever try cocaine). Firewatch’s premise is simple, you’re a guy named Henry who is a fire lookout in the Wyoming wilderness. The only lifeline Henry has is to a woman at the other side of his walkie talkie named Delilah (You don’t know how long that the Delilah song has been stuck in my head now, this is what is probably going to send me to the looney bin). He is there in this wilderness to relax and not think about his life, but things don’t go as plan (of course they don’t). The first thing you notice is how beautiful the art style is, it's not super realistic, it is cartoony in the best way possible, especially during sunsets.

(A small taste of Firewatch)

This entire game relies heavily on two things, the story and two characters (Henry and Delilah). The performance these two put on is phenomenal and is easily the best part of the game. The conversations the two have, which you get to pick what Henry says with a dialogue tree, sounds so genuine. You come to care for these people really fast. You laugh with them, you cry with them, and at times, you gasp with them. These characters are built up in such a realistic way that after the game is over you can see yourself getting to know them outside the wilderness. The game has a really indie movie feel to it. The moment to moment gameplay is just you as henry walking around the woods, climbing stuff, opening things, and opening up pathways, there is no action at all. No, you can’t blow up towers, you can’t put an ax through someone’s head, and that’s good. It is just you, the walkie-talkie, and the wilderness, and it is also the reason why the game relies on the story and the characters.

(No words needed)

Speaking of the story, the way it starts and pulls you in with Henry and Delilah is masterful. The mystery makes sure that you don’t go anywhere. Just as your about to say “I’ll see what happens next time;” you find something else interesting and next thing you know it’s 5 am and you haven’t gotten any sleep. Well, maybe 5 am, since the game is pretty short, coming in at about 4 hours. Firewatch is an amazing game and I would be happy to give it a perfect score, but the ending is so blah. For a game that relies heavily on its characters (which are awesome) and its story, this is a big blow. The way the mystery is built up you get all these ideas and theories but then the mystery is revealed and you just feel unsatisfied. This is one of those cases where the mystery was maybe built up to high, and the revelation could not live up to it. That is its biggest drawback, and it is a pretty big one to be honest. So, Firewatch gets 3.5 "Hey there Delilah’s" (I bet the song is stuck in there now) out of five based on the characters alone. Firewatch is available on PS4 and PC.


So, there you go three reviews and now I can go back to saving the digital world. (I'm pretty sure after that work, I have run out of smart things to say, but hey I caught up). 

Comments

  1. I just want to say you are hilarious - in a good way. Loved the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm glad I could be entertaining to someone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Return of the Ghost of Sparta: the Evolution of God of War

(Gaze at that magnificent beard) AAAAAARRRRREEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Kratos' favorite phrase from God of War (other variations include ZZZZEEEEEUUUUUSSSSS!!!!!! or CCCCCCAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOPPPPPPPEEEE!!!!!!!!). What I'm trying to say is that Kratos likes, no, loves to yell the name of the person he's looking for and most of the time he is angry. These days he gets a lot of crap for being too one-dimensional, and while that's true, it is not the whole story. That's why today I'm going to talk about why the God of War franchise is one of the greatest ever, and why it is only the beginning.

Pokemon Sun and Moon Theory: Predicting the Plot (UPDATE)

UPDATE: Here are some of my thoughts on the final game ( My Review ) Ladies and gentlemen, finally the Rock has come bac... (whoa, my make-believe lawyer warns we not to finish that sentence). I know, I know you all missed me and have been eagerly anticipating my next post almost as much, if not more, than the premiere of Walking Dead (and yes, my ego truly knows no bounds). I am going to try my very best to continuously update the blog, but never mind that today we are going to talk about what in the heckler's left boot is going on in Pokémon Sun and Moon. I'm going to do my very best (like no one ever was, yes, I know this joke has probably been made thousands of times) to try and predict what will happen. Ladies and gentlemen get ready for the first ever the McTheorizer Machine.